- 2 1/2 cups of Kohinoor Basmati Rice
- 1 1/4 kg of lamb or beef, large pieces
- 1 cup of beef/lamb broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp of garam masala (spice blend:ground peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom)
- 1/2 tsp of saffron
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of brown sugar (optional)
- 2 carrots, sliced into vertical slices
- 1 cup of yellow raisins
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup blanched pistachios
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups of water
- cooking time: 30 min
- Soak rice in water in a bowl and keep aside. Heat half of the oil in a heavy large skillet and fry onions until golden brown. Add the meat pieces to the fried onion and cook until light brown on both sides.
- Add salt, garam masala and saffron and fry the meat until the oil separates and rises to the top. add water and bring to a boil. lower the heat and simmer covered until meat is tender. add more water if required.
- In a separate pan, saute carrots in a small quantity of oil, add sugar and fry until softened. Remove from pan and keep aside. Add a little oil to the pan and saute raisins until they swell up. Remove from pan and set aside. Next fry the almonds and pistachios to a golden brown and set aside.
- When the meat is cooked, remove it from the remaining water/stock with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add rice and salt to the stock, add broth and cook until the liquid comes to a boil, Lower the heat and cook covered until rice is done and dry (about 15-20 minutes). alternatively, once the water dries up to about 70% of its original quantity, the pan may be placed in a preheated oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, transfer the rice to an oven-safe serving plate, top with meat in the center surrounded by carrots on all sides, sprinkle with raisins and nuts and heat in the oven at 1450 degrees celsius for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with salad and chutney.