What does it take to produce the most sought-after, world-class basmati rice? The answer is simple – world-class rice processing plants. And that’s something Kohinoor Foods Ltd. knows all about, perhaps better than most.
Its rice factory at Murthal, Haryana is one of the largest in the country with an unbelievable milling capacity – 50 metric tonnes per hour. Not only that, the plant is ISO 9001:2000, HACCP and BRC certified along with being EUFSA and USFDA compliant. Fully automated through the entire chain of processing and final packaging, the factory uses the world’s best technologies and equipment for churning out rice grains that can only be described as impeccable.
Also, the manufacturing facility has a strong scientific procurement system. The company has contract farming to ensure consistency of agri produce and control on the entire value chain of basmati. In addition to that, an able, technical team of procurement personnel takes care of what is sourced for produce. The entire chain is documented to the minutest detail ensuring 100% traceability as per international norms.
Facts about the Rice Factory:
- Area of about 36 acres
- One of the largest storage capacities – 20,000 metric ton of rice; 50,000 metric ton of paddy
- Production capacity – 1000 metric ton per day
- 8 Rice grading lines with milling capacity of 6 metric ton per hour
- 16 color sorter machines (10 of Buhler’s & 6 of Satake’s)
- State of art ‘Z’ series sorting machines of Buhler’s
- Mechanical Dryers with paddy drying capacity of 1000 metric ton per day
- Silos attached with dryers for safe storage of paddy
- Parboiling capacity of 500 metric ton per day
- First rice unit to get ISO 9002
- First rice unit to get approved under “In Process Quality Control System” of EIC Govt. of India
- First rice unit to get BRC Food Certification in India
- First rice unit to introduce Flexible Packaging for rice in India
- FFS (Form Fill Seal) machines for packing pouches and jars from Tetra pack Nichrome
- Nitrogen flushing in packs by in house commissioned N2gas plant
- Semi-automated packing plant with imported metal detectors and check weigher systems
- Most versatile packaging offered, ranging from Jute & Cotton Bags to Laminate Pouches, Pet Jars, Paper & Tyvek Bags to Non-Woven Fabric Bags
- Self sufficient power generation capacity
- The Specialized Paddy Procurement Procedure
Kohinoor Foods Limited does the procurement of paddy in a very scientific way, with a lot of research work behind it. The company gives the farmers all the help they need in bringing up their crop with good vigor and health. R&D teams regularly visit the farms and advise the farmers with the status of their crop and remedies of diseases, if any. This is done right from sowing to transplanting and harvesting of the crop.Before the harvesting happens, Kohinoor Foods Limited draws samples from different zones and tests them in the laboratory. They are tested under various parameters of the company. The zones that conform to the quality standard norms of the company are selected for the procurement of the paddy. The paddy is received and stored in controlled atmosphere with tight pest control measures.What’s more, Kohinoor Foods Limited maintains full traceability of the basmati rice packed under Kohinoor’s name. It keeps all the records of paddy received and processed by giving them a special identification code.
The Specialized Facility for Organic Produce
Looking at the stressful life and heightened awareness of health among the consumers, Kohinoor Foods Limited conducts contract farming for growing Organic Basmati Rice. This is done in Dehradun, India – one of the places where Basmati Rice originated.
The company procures Organic Basmati Rice by coming in direct contact with the farmers, helping them in production and by using the required technology.
The company’s ‘Organic Basmati Program’ is in collaboration with Uttarrakhand Government of India under their ‘Organic Basmati Export Program’. Kohinoor Foods Limited has contracts with 8 big groups of farmers comprising a total of 1128 farmers. What started with a small area of about 110 hectare in 2005 is today extended to around 750 hectare. The total area of farming Organic Basmati Rice is intended to cross a target of 1200 hectares soon.
The Initiative for Fair-Trade
With poor farmers in mind, Kohinoor Foods Limited is soon planning to initiate an endeavour that ensures fair farming practice in the rice market. With the objective of uplifting the social and economic status of the poor farmers in India, this ‘Fair-Trade’ would involve contract farming with the farmers wherein the produce of those farmers would be procured at a very good price.
From farm to factory to fork, food products may encounter number of health hazards during their journey through the supply chain. Ensuring quality is the essence at Kohinoor Foods Ltd. And this is the reason why the company has access to the world’s most discerning customers. More habit than just procedures, the stringent quality specifications set by the company is what makes it stand apart.
With an area of more than 6000 square meters located near the scenic fields of Sonipat, Haryana is one of the most advanced technological food processing hub.
To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art. Kohinoor has a well-resourced factory and all the necessary certifications in Food Processing.
Facts about the Food Processing factory-
- Total area of Food plant 1.5 acres
- Total Covered area for processing of food 32,000 sq. ft.
- Production capacity 80000 meals per day.
- Equipped with 1 world renowned Lagarde Rotary Retort with capacity of sterilization of 3000 packs (300gm) per cycle & 2 Static Retorts of sterilization capacity of 2400 packs (300 gm) per cycle for each Retort. (All Retorts are of leading brand from France).
- Equipped with two automatic Korean Lee pack PFS with capacity of filling and sealing 30 packs per min for each machine.
- Equipped with Urschel’s leading machinery for dicing, chopping and paste making of capacity of more than 1 Ton/Hr.
- Equipped with 6 Steam Jacketed kettles for uniform cooking.
- BRC Global standard for food safety issue
- Facility is certified with NON genetically modified organism product.
- Facility is certified with HALAL certificate.
- Facility is certified with FDA (US FDA).
- FSSAI certified.
- Facility is certified with India’s national program for organic production standard (NPOP, NOP-USA).
- Facility is certified with gluten free product in process.
Food is maybe the only universal thing that really has the power to bring everyone together. Keeping this in mind, Kohinoor’s mission is to make the world experience the true Indian flavors in its authentic form that brings joy and happiness to the palates of global consumers.