serves : 3-4
- 3 cups of Kohinoor Basmati Rice
- 1 kg chicken parts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 500g squid, cleaned, sacs cut into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 500g large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cups warm chicken stock
- 700g small live clams
- 1 cup frozen peas
- cooking time:30 min
- chop the chicken breast half into 3 pieces and each leg into 4 pieces.
- combine the oil, onion, and garlic in a 12 to 14 inch skillet or paella pan and place over low heat.
- When the onion begins to sizzle, increase the heat to medium.
- Add the chicken pieces a few at a time and cook until lightly browned, sprinkling them with a little of the salt, pepper and paprika as they cook.
- As they brown, move the chicken pieces to the outside of the pan to make room for more in the center.
- When all the chicken has lost its raw color, add the squid, peppers, green onion, and the remaining salt, and crumble in the saffron. stir in the rice, cooking for a minute or so to coat it with the oil.
- Add warm stock to within 1 inch of the rim of the pan (not all the stock may be needed).
- Arrange the shrimp over the top, and the mussels or clams in a ring around the outside, hinged side down.
- cook at a lively simmer until the rice is just tender, about 20 minutes; scatter the peas over the top halfway through the cooking time.
- The paella may seem a little soupy when it first comes off the fire, but the rice will absorb the excess liquid in a few minutes.