serves : 3-4
- 2 1/2 cups or 500g of kohinoor basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1kg lamb, pieces with bones
- 8 cups of water or 2000ml
- 2 cubes chicken stock
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 medium onions or 500g, finely chopped
- 1 cup or 250g of yoghurt
- 2 medium tomatoes or 300g, finely chopped 3/4 tsp while ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- cooking time:30 min
- Place lamb pieces and water in a large pot. bring to boil and remove froth as it appears.
- Add the chicken stock cubes, cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until the lamb pieces are cooked.
- Remove lamb pieces from the stock. Add the kohinoor rice to the stock which should be around 6 cups or 1500ml. and boil it for 10 minutes or until almost cooked. Drain the rice and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large pot, add and cook the onions, stirring for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, add the cooked lamb pieces to the onions and mix carefully.
- Combine the yoghurt with the tomato, spices and the garic and pour over the lamb pieces.
- Add the cooked rice over the meat mixture cover, and cook over low heat for 25-30minutes or until the rice is cooked.