serves : 3-4
- 2 1/2 cups of long-graing kohinoor basmati rice,washed. soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained
- 4 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1kg of lean boned lamb, cut in to 1 inch cubes
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 500g of fresh or frozen lima or broad beans
- 3/8 cup of butter, melted
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill or 2 tsp dried dill
- cooking time:30 min
- In a large flameproof casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat. add the lamb cubes, a few at a time. As they become brown, transfer them with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add the onions to the casserole and fry them for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, put the lamb back in the casserole and mix in a tsp of salt, cinnamon, pepper and water.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 35 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- Put the lamb, onion and cooking liquid in to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 175 degrees celsius.
- Half fill a lrge saucepan with water and bring to boil over high heat. Add the rice and remaining salt, parboil the beans for 10 to 15 minutes or 1 minute if the beans are frozen.
- Pour the butter in to the casserole and put half the rice, beans and dill on top. with a slotted spoon, transfer the lamb and onions to the casserole. Spread the remaining beans, dill and rice on top of the meat and pour over the liquid in which the lamb was cooked.
- Put the casserole over high heat and bring to boil.
- Remove the casserole, cover it and put it in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid is absorbed. Serve immediately.