Chinese Wat Gai Fan
- 1 1/2 cups of long-grain Kohinoor Basmati Rice
- 5 Chinese dried mushrooms
- 500g chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup of Hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup of golden syrup
- 1 medium red capsicum thinly sliced
- 50g of snow peas thinly sliced
- 2 scallions (spring onions, green onions) finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- Enough water to cover rice by 1 inch
- Cooking time: 30 min
- Reconstitute the Chinese mushrooms by covering them in hot water until softened (20 - 30 minutes).
- Squeeze any excess water out of the mushrooms, cut off the stems and thinly slice the caps.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch squares. Add the marinade ingredients and marinade the chicken for 15-20 minutes. Discard any excess marinade In a 2 quart pot, bring the rice and water to a boil over medium heat. when the water above the rice has just disappeared (this takes around 10 minutes), add the chicken, mushrooms and green onions. Mix in with rice.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot.